Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM
What time is it? That's right, it's new imagery time! In between bites of fruit snacks and orange chicken, we've been working hard to add the newest available imagery in Google Earth and Maps. Here's a quiz showing you just a small sample of the new imagery that has been posted. To make things a little more interesting this month, here's a disclaimer: One of these facts is false and will lead you nowhere.
1) This city hosted Stage 4 and was the starting point of Stage 5 in the 2008 Tour De France.
2) Unscramble this D-E-E-R-B-A-G-O
3) This port city in the Piura Region was the home of a United States air base during World War II.
4) Every October, this city hosts an International Balloon Fiesta. With over 1,000 hot air balloons each year, it's the largest hot air balloon gathering in the world.
5) The siege of this city was the longest siege in the history of modern warfare, lasting from April 5, 1992 to February 29, 1996.
6) During WWII, this city was converted to the capital of Germany's General Government.
7) This city was founded after a civil war in 1578 and is named after the infamous bridge battle that decided the outcome of the war.
8)This city houses Russia's biggest nuclear submarine base.
9) This city is approximately 244 kilometres (152 mi) from Ankara, 255 kilometres (158 mi) from Adana, 222 kilometres (138 mi) from Izmir, and 300 kilometres (186 mi) from Istanbul.
10) This city was founded after the Port Royal earthquake in the 17th century.