Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 5:10 PMGreat detective work, everyone! As always, I am continually impressed by how much of the new data the user community has found with only a handful of hints. Here are the answers:
1) The large 'satellite dish' from Golden Eye is now visible in high res.
-- Puerto Rico
2) Undergoing a name change in 1996, this city is was established in the 17th centry and rapidy grew into a major urban center.
3)Check out how construction is going on the giant palm tree island
4) Once a major maritime power, this former republic is now threatened by the rising tides.
5) Now the second largest city in it's country, this city was a major port of emigration.
6) This city holds the Guiness World Record for most remote city from any sea.
7) The western most city in Africa has gotten an update
8) This cosmopolitan and economic power house metropolis started out as a simple crown colony back in 1842.
-- Hong Kong
The following is a more complete version of the updates in this data push:
- Canada: Kamloops (BC), Fort St John (BC), Surrey (BC),
- USA: Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Champaign County (IL), Bentonville (AR), Harrison (AR), Roswell (GA), Hidalgo County (TX), Willacy County (TX), Greenville (SC), Pierre (SD), several counties in Florida, several counties in Ohio
- France: Finistere, Cotes-d'Armor, Loire-Atlantique, Orne, Oise, Pas-de-Calais, Loiret, Loir-et-Cher, Doubs, Cote-d'Or, Nievre, Cher, Creuse, Puy-de-Dome, Cantal, Haute-Loire, Correze, Dorbogne, Lot, Landes, Gers, Haute-Garonne, Gard, Corsica - Italy: Pisa, Venice
- Spain: Costa Brava, Navarra
- UK: Cambridgeshire, Workington, Swanage
- Sweden: Goteborg
- Senegal: Dakar
- Nigeria: Kaduna
- Saudi Arabia: Mecca
- UAE: Dubai
- Central African Republic: Bangui
- Mauritania: Nouakchott
- Sudan: Port Sudan, Juba
- Eritrea: Asmara
- China: Hong Kong, Wulumuqi, Fuzhou, Hegang
- India: Calcutta, Chennai, Patna, Varanasi, Bhiwandi, Veraval, Ambala,
- North Korea: Nampo, Haeju, Kimchaek, Kanggye
- Japan: Mt Fuji
- Indonesia: Makassar
- Vietnam: Phan Thiet
- Tajikistan: Dushanbe
- Pakistan: Jacobabad, Vihari
New 2.5m Spot Imagery for: Iraq, Kuwait, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the western half of Egypt
State of Indiana
Matt Manolides, GIS Specialist