Monday, December 17, 2007 at 7:22 AM
Hello, geo fans!
Today I'm very happy to announce that we've published a large amount of new imagery all over the world. I'm particularly happy to say that every continent on Earth has received a certain amount of new imagery in this update. I hope you enjoy discovering the amazing new sights to be seen -- below are some clues that might point you toward some interesting areas.
1) A young boy living in this town designed the Alaska state flag 32 years prior to Alaska gaining statehood.
2) The incredible ruins of an old medieval castle, believed damaged during the Swedish invasion of 1655, are now visible in Google Earth.
3) On July 3, 1810, this city declared independence from Spain.
4) This city's metropolitan area is the most populous in the world, with over 35 million people.
5) Known as the City of Peace for hosting many peace conferences, this city is a popular tourist destination.
6) The oldest Polish cathedral, this burial site of many famous Polish leaders is now high res.
7) This Jersey city is now high res.
8) Lawrence of Arabia and Cleopatra were both filmed at this famous studio.
9) This city is also Ukraine's largest port.
10) Though completely destroyed in an 1868 fire, this gold rush town was completely restored by the government of British Columbia to act as a tourist attraction.
11) This was the final port of call for the Titanic before it's ill-fated transatlantic journey.
12) Bach, 38 at the time, was appointed the cantor for St Thomas' Church in this city.
13) This deep-water port was constructed far offshore and is connected to the mainland by the third longest bridge in the world.
14) The element Hafnium is named after this city's Latin name.
15) The picturesque port in this city has been painted many times over, and helped inspire the Impressionist movement.
16) Famous as the site where Portuguese explorer Pedro Álvares Cabral landed in Brazil, this city is now a tourist destination.
17) The imagery above the headquarters of my favorite search engine has been upgraded!
Have fun exploring, everyone!